Friday, January 21, 2011

Tiger Mom parenting and the quest for self-esteem

(... an excerpt from the 'Mother load' blog, written by Anna-Liza Kozma, on the CBC website - I've posted stories regarding this book, and some of the controversial reviews it's had, and I find it fascinating. I'm really interested to read a copy. Has anyone read it?)

No sooner had our plane touched down in Toronto than my BlackBerry began to flash tyrannically: "R we on for piano tonight?" "U missed acro-jazz - R u on 4 nxt wk?" "Atom hockey sched 4 this Sat!"

A rising panic jolted me back to Earth after an all-too-short vacation. The mad spin of kids' activities had already begun and we weren't even out of the airport.

This school year my children have suddenly become "joiners." And against my better judgment I have found myself ferrying them to crazed rounds of skiing, snowboarding, power skating, hockey, dance and horse riding.

Part of the panic came from having just read excerpts of Amy Chua's controversial new book, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, on the plane.

Read the full story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment