Thursday, February 2, 2012

Children at Home Alone

Often a contentious and guilt-inducing decision.  Is my child mature and savvy enough to be left alone at home?  Some parents agonize over this question, some are blase, some don't even consider it, some have no choice.  There is hope...

Child Safe Canada gives a short course/seminar to kids aged 7 - 16 called Home Alone Safety and First Aid.  It provides an interactive safety program that prepares our kids for being alone at home safely.  Its two hours long and cost $30.00 - follow the above link for the schedule.  Our 11 year old went last week and by his account  it was very worthwhile (to be honest what he said was *shrug* "it was alright I guess").  But judging by the work book he brought home, it did look like they covered a lot of important things that parents might not think about.

I've heard various beliefs about the lawfulness of leaving children alone so did a quick Google search and found the provincial guidelines here. There is no law but 'many Albertans expect families to arrange care or supervision for children left alone under the age of 12' - sounds pretty wishy-washy to me but I guess its a good guideline.  What do you think?  Is under 12 too young to be left alone?  What about under 10? Or 8?

1 comment:

  1. I've looked up the legal age to stay home alone before as I was curious. I was surprised when I found out there was no actual law.
    The right age to stay home alone? Is there one? No child is the same. One child will be very responsible and make good decisions and the next one (at the same age) will not. Parents know their children. In an ideal world we would be able to make the decision based solely on the childs ability and not by necessity.

    ReplyDelete