Thursday, May 2, 2013

Sound Advice For Cel Phone Use

Does your child own a cel phone?  Are you thinking of purchasing one for her?  Will he be getting one when he moves up to Junior High?  Consider the following message a mom shared on the Internet.

Janell Hofmann, mother of five and writer, posted a contract she created for her son's new iPhone on her website. There is sound advice in her message for both teens and adults when it comes to using cel phones.

The contents of the contract include:

"It is my phone. I bought it. I pay for it. I am loaning it to you."

"I will always know the password."

"Hand the phone to one of your parents promptly at 7:30pm every school night & every weekend night at 9:00pm. It will be shut off for the night and turned on again at 7:30am."

"It does not go to school with you. Have a conversation with the people you text in person. It’s a life skill. "

"Do not text, email, or say anything through this device you would not say in person."

"Turn it off, silence it, put it away in public. Especially in a restaurant, at the movies, or while speaking with another human being. You are not a rude person; do not allow the iPhone to change that."

"Keep your eyes up. See the world happening around you. Stare out a window. Listen to the birds. Take a walk. Talk to a stranger. Wonder without googling."

Read the full contract here.

1 comment:

  1. Great advice - the adults should follow it to. Including me! Many times I have caught myself multi tasking which for the person I am face to face with is VERY RUDE. I will work on this.

    ReplyDelete