Thursday, May 28, 2009

Alberta bill enshrining parental rights moves to final reading

CBC website

Last-minute amendments made by the province's Conservative majority government to the parental rights option in Bill 44 do little to address concerns from the province's teachers, the president of the Alberta Teachers' Association, Frank Bruseker, said Wednesday.

The legislation giving Alberta parents the right to pull their children from classroom discussions about sex, sexual orientation or religion, moved to third reading early Wednesday after a debate which went on for hours at the Alberta legislature.

Click here to read the full story.

3 comments:

  1. No comments on this? Here's my two cents - despite my repeated emails to my provincial government representative, urging them to dump this ridiculous legislation, I have had not even so much as a quick email in return, acknowledging my concerns.

    Go, Democracy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opposition say they are creating the most embarrassing piece of rights legislation to date - that's probably a little dramatic but it still seems to me that I don't need legislation to tell me when I can take my kids from the classroom. If I have that much problem with what it being taught, I would go to the principal and if that wasn't enough, I'd take my child right out of the system and find a suitable school for me. There is always an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just feel that discussion and conversation is so important for children to learn, to think, to contemplate, to question... This legistlation seems fear driven to me.

    ReplyDelete